Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Humanity

We'd traveled to Israel via Air France and had been unexpectedly upgraded to first class on the second leg of the journey.  But they'd lost our luggage. Our first morning in Israel was spent wandering around in search of a bathing suit, so that we could hit the beach and not waste one precious moment of our time in the Promised Land.

Neither of us had ever worn a two piece before, but that's what we tried on in the crowded hovel of a Tel Aviv shop.  We each squeezed behind the curtain of a tiny make shift dressing room.  My two piece was orange, remarkably the color of an orange.  As I was cupping myself into the top, the shop owner came in to check on how I was doing.  He started feeling me up, inserting one breast at a time into the top and then fastening me from behind.  I tried to shoo him out, but he was taking his good ole time -  He then proceeded to do the same to Patty. We were rattled, things like this did not happen where we came from.

We paid the bill, stayed in our suits, wrapped a little something around us and descended upon the beach.  The sky was blue, but the sun had not yet exploded into its raging self. The water was cool as we waded in. We took a deep breath and whooped with joy. We were alive and at last in Eretz Israel.

That afternoon, we took a bus headed for the Egged Central bus station. A lot was happening - drying off, shaking out the sand, exchanging money, finding directions, getting on and off buses. When we finally sank down into our seats, I began digging in my purse. I soon realized that I'd lost my wallet, with all our money. We hadn't bothered about travelers' checks. I felt that sinking feeling in my gut. Who was I anyway to think I could shepherd around a 14 year old little sister?

People around us realized that something was wrong - there we were two American girls, arms flailing.  One man advised us to continue on to the Central Bus Station and inquire at the Lost and Found.  Lo and behold, by some miracle, a kind soul had turned in my wallet with all those American dollars.  I let out a moan.  I wanted to reward the kind soul in some way. But the Egged clerk informed me that this was not necessary - if I wished, I could put a donation in the charity box and call it a day.

I still think of this kind soul who turned in my wallet - Surely there is goodness, and I had felt it keenly that day.



No comments: