Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sita

Rummaging through sweaters on a sale table
in Birmingham, England, that frothy cauldron
of Brits, Moslems, Jamaicans, Indians
I beheld her.

Rummaging through sweaters of lime, red, blue,
I beheld her - gorgeous, as you might imagine,
Gold hooped earrings, kohl lined eyes, there she was --
Sita -- holding a sweater at arm's length.

Even then, I held no doubt as to the whys
and wherefores of her abduction, nor doubted
I, the surety of her rescue by brave
Rama and Hanuman, his monkey friend.

Sita smiled, her eyes jumped out at me, her
golden earrings shimmered, we exchanged a
few words, small talk -- women in search of a
bargain in the right size and color.

Rainy day in Birmingham, mid July,
and I'm certain as breath coursing through me,
that she was Sita, abducted by Ravan,
rescued by Rama and Hanuman, his monkey friend.

No comments: